Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

My 3 year old is not feeling well since Tuesday and

My 3 year old is not feeling well since Tuesday and complaining of tummy pain . Vomited sometimes the first 2 days but not vomited after that . She doesn’t have a temperature and the pain comes and goes . She also has a cold
Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: My daughter hasn’t got a fever and no other medical condition
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Expert should know?
Customer: No

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

1. Is there any nausea?
2. Is there any diarrhoea with or without blood?
3. What was the colour of the vomitus was it green in colour?
4. Is there any abdominal distension?
4. Is there any history of renal stones or gallbladder stones in the family?
5. How is her appetite?Please get back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor for getting back to me
She hasn’t got nausea at the moment but she did vomit the first 2 days her milk and food but was on and off . The vomit was not green in colour but just normal vomit with whatever content she ate in that day . She doesn’t have diarrhoea but the first day she opened her bowel a lot but the stools were normal and no blood in them
She doesn’t have abdominal distension
No history of renal stones or gallbladder in the family either
She isn’t eating much . Doesn’t have an appetite at the moment

Hello...I understand your concern.

It seems your daughter having having viral diarrhea....I am sorry for her symptoms. But be assured that it is not dangerous.

Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless she is having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest she be given zinc supplements (elemental zinc 20 mg once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Ondansetron (as prescribed by your physician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea.

But she can take fruits as such as they contain fiber and help in formed stools. She can take zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Most crucial part is keeping her well hydrated. Make sure she passes urine at least 6th hourly once.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor but you mention diarrhoea and my daughter doesn’t have diarrhoea. Her stools are normal but keep complaining about tummy pain that comes and goes since Tuesday

No what I meant was that it seems to be a prodrome of diarrhea.

Usually it will start with vomiting and as the vomiting subsides - diarrhea ensues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the tummy pain that comes and goes ? Is it normal ? Anything I can give her to help with the pain ?

It is very much normal - the intestine occasionally go in to spasm and hence this pain.

Only Tylenol.

OTC antispasmodics are not advisable as they will act by stalling the movements of the intestines - but in turn sometimes might aggravate diarrhea due to bacterial over growth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok lovely . Thank you doctor

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help anytime!