Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Sumanth, My 8 years old son had mild cold symptoms last

Hi Dr. Sumanth,My 8 years old son had mild cold symptoms last week. He didn’t have any fever but he started to have dry cough after cold symptoms began to disappear.It seems like the cough is getting worse since yesterday. He is now coughing during night as well.Do you think he needs to be checked by a doctor now or can we wait for a few more days to see if he is getting better?

Thank you for requesting me here.

I am currently reviewing your question and be back with your shortly.

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello...I understand your concern.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. But this is a prescription medication. Instead you can use Syr Benadryl 5ml three times a day or on as and when required basis. Although this is a first generation antihistamine medication - this is an excellent cough suppressant too.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

Unless there is respiratory distress or feeding difficulty or high grade fever of more than 102 to 103 F - there is nothing to worry and you can wait for it to get better by itself please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Sumanth. I have one more question. He is due to have nasal flujab today at school. He is no longer having runny nose or other symptoms other than dry cough. Is it safe for him to have to nasal flujab?

Yes please he can go ahead with the flu shot.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Sumanth.
Happy to help anytime!