Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  GP at NHS/Private
106915327

My 16 months old baby is rubbing her left eye a lot. 2 days

My 16 months old baby is rubbing her left eye a lot.
2 days ago she woke up with a red eye lid and also the skin under eye was red. There was green mucus on the lashes.
Redness disappeared and no mucus yesterday. Today since morning she has got a lot of mucus coming out from that eye. No redness. What can cause that mucus? Will this pass without medication?

Hi, I'm Dr Osula, yes it appears your baby has conjunctivitis. This is an eye infection that can be viral or bacterial.

Normally, they can self-resolve within 3 to 5 days and in some cases can last up to 10 days.

'its normally worse on waking up so if redness disappeared usually a good sign.

I'll advise regular cleaning with salt and water, diluted baby shampoo or sodium bicarbonate solution

if you still breastfededing, breastmilk has antiviral and antibacterial properties also

if despite all this and by day 5 its getting worse and not better, then antibioitc eye drop or ointment is a valid option

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Even if there was no redness inside the eye only skin around the eye and eye lid was reddish is it still conjunctivitis?

Yes, its still conjunctivitis but you can have inflammation also which can affect the skin hence I mentioned antibiotic ointment also as an option

Thanks for your feedback rating, and let me know if any further concerns

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you doctor Osula.