Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have a 7 day old girl when I changed her nappy there was

Hi I have a 7 day old girl when I changed her nappy there was blood on the umbilical cord area should I be worried
Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Hi I have a 7 day old girl when I changed her nappy there was blood on the umbilical cord area should I be worried
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Expert should know?
Customer: No

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask:

- Is she otherwise well?

- Are there any other symptoms affecting this area such as redness, discharge, bad odour etc?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She’s well drinking her formula. Can I send you a pic?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I attached a pic

Many thanks, that’s really helpful.

I cannot see anything of concern here - the umbilical stump is drying out as expected and what I can see of the base and surrounding skin also looks fine. It is common for some minor bleeding to occur from the base if it gets knocked slightly - often if the umbilical clip is accidentally caught.

No further action is required at this stage.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you soo much Dr great help

You’re very welcome, all the best.