Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 4 year old daughter had a water infection- on and off

Customer Question

My 4 year old daughter had a water infection- on and off symptoms for a few weeks - sounds crazy but she would have one morning every 7-10 days when she would wake up needing a wee and then again and again but only a dribble- I thought infection but dr sed symptoms wudnt be intermittent- so prescribed creams for thrush - never worked so I asked if I could jst do a water sample and when they checked she had infection so she was put on antibiotics- she then also started doing lots of body movements - this all started around time she went on medication - but I cant remember exact timing....which is annoying me! She was taken off the antibiotics in alder hey incase it was a reaction to them. She was admitted to alder hey and had a chest x ray, bloods done, water samples, ecg and an assessment by a neurologist. They diagnosed the movements as tics/habits. When we left alder hey the water infection came bk - so she was put on further 7 day course of antibiotics - shes finished them and the water infection has come back again - so shes on antibiotics again!! Shes being sent to alder hey again for a renal ultrasound- 18th June...dr has said one of the bugs shes growing in her water is resistant to most antibiotics aswell.
She is now also saying over the last week or so that some things look red (faces mainly) and then today she has said her dads neck looked blue aswell (then she says 'oh no doesnt matter' a few seconds later....do you have any idea what this could be? I am going to make gp appointment in the morning
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. Dr. Yogindra

Sorry about this long history. Yes it could be a reaction to antibiotic she is taking but need not change or stop drug. Repeat culture of urine should come clean before stopping course. Please keep extra care of her underclothing for hygiene, cleaning part with soap and water repeatedly and when cleaning poo, to make backward swipe and not from back to fore. This will prevent repeated infections.