Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

My son (4) has an irritated penis and I noted that the skin

Hi, my son (4) has an irritated penis and I noted that the skin on the tip is not going low enough. what I can do?
JA: The Paediatrician can help. To begin, has your son's irritation been stable or getting worse?
Customer: stable
JA: Thanks for that. Could you tell me how long has your son been dealing with the irritation? Is this the first time this happened?
Customer: first time, started two days ago
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Paediatrician should know?
Customer: no

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot, I am a GP Urologist. Thank you for your question. Irritation to the penis in children is commonly a fungal infection which causes something called balanitis. Do you mean that the foreskin does not retract of the penis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the foreskin retract only partially

Okay thanks, ***** ***** is quite normal at this age. Generally if it is retracting it will resolve by about 8years

You could try topical clotrimazole which you can get from the pharmacist this weekend, but I would certainly aim to see the GP this week if it has not cleared up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the skin is normal that is not retracting completely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have or him have to facilitate the movement

No, do not force it to retract, it then becomes a paraphimosis and if cannot return will require an operation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in normal days and in the current situation, what to do if the erection makes pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as the glans is not exposed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesterday happened, this is the reason we noted the irritation

I see. If it is painful, I would ask for a urology referral, one option would be a long term topical steroid to loosen the foreskin, but the best treatment available is a circumcision. Can certainly be done at this age if causing pain.

Ask the pharmacist for some clotrimazole and contact your GP this week. If you find the penis is painful and the foreskin retracts but is not able to go back to a normal position, then please attend an A&E

https://patient.info/mens-health/penis-problems/phimosis-and-paraphimosis - this is a link to leaflet regarding the foreskin, but not balanitis.

I hope this helps, please could you kindly rate my response by clicking on the stars, this is the only way JustAnswer acknowledge that I have responded to your question, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks

No worries, best of luck...sorry I forgot to change the status, please could you now click the stars to rate my response, they should be at the top of the page