Dr.israr
Dr.israr, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

I’m looking to wean my 3-year old off a dummy, she has

I’m looking to wean my 3-year old off a dummy, she has strong dependency on it (needs it every 45 minutes to fall asleep again). What to expect? Awakenings every 45 minutes? What’s the best advice you could give please?

I am dr israr and I will help you today.

Most children are emotionally ready to wean off the dummy by 2-4 years. But ultimately it's up to you to decide when it's time for your child to stop using a dummy.

Take a gradual approach. Start by limiting the times your child can use the dummy.

Initially try to set some rules about when your child can use their dummy, for example, only in the house, or just in the evening or in the car. This gives your child a chance to get used to being without the dummy.

Gradually use the dummy less and less when re-settling your child during the night. For example, give the dummy to your child every second time he cries in the night on day two, then every third time on day three, and so on.

Set a date for no more dummy. Celebrate and reward your child when he lets the dummy go. Try not to turn back. No matter how well you’ve prepared your child for this change, expect some discomfort and some protest.

It might be easier and more fun to help your child give her dummy away. For example, you could suggest hanging it on the tree for fairies to give to other babies who don’t have a dummy. Or putting it in the bird feeder for the baby birds. This way, if your child asks for it back, you can tell her you don’t have it any more. Just remember to throw all the dummies away. You don’t want your child to find the dummy she thinks the baby birds have.

Kindly let me know if you have any other query regarding this issue.

Kindly rate my answer if you think it’s helpful and informative. You can click on the button Rate the Expert will be under the chat box. This will blink with green every few seconds.