Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  MBBS DNB
19010125

My son is three months old .I see some spots on his body on

Customer Question

Hi my son is three months old .I see some brown spots on his body on neck and arm
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: I noticed them two days ago but its just decolouration
JA: Anything else in your child's medical history you think the Expert should know?
Customer: Not really
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Kruti , I am a specialist in the field and I will be happy to help.

i can understand how worried you may be about it.

I will try to give you suggestions which help.

The answer does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I would like to inform that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site , I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:-

Usually skin conditions are best diagnosed if its possible to see them , so it gives me a clearer picture of what the problem is. Hence I would like to request you to please send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

Please send a picture in jpeg/jpg or png format. You can send it as an attachment here, using the paper clip sign on the toolbar , just above the space where we are typing or using the add files next to the send button. Or alternatively you can upload them on google photos and send me the link.

In case, its not possible for you to send a picture, I can understand, please do let me know. I will surely try to still help you out.

Thanks. Regards

Dr. Kruti

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
These type
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 days ago.

hello

Thanks for the information and pictures.

please allow me 10- 15 mins to type down my recommendations, so that I could help you in the best possible way.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 days ago.

Is it possible to share a few more pictures from a different angle?

In this one I can see a light coloured patch on one side of the neck(rather than the brown spots), its possible that its due to the angle of the photograph , hence I wanted to make sure.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Actually they are brown in colour the picture quality is not good
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 days ago.

Ok no worries. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You can see difference in his face and neck
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 days ago.

hello

Thanks for your patience. I will be really glad to assist you today. I can understand your worry about these brown spots.

The commonest cause of brown spots is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It is the discolouration that is seen on the skin where a rash was previously present.

the rash may have inflamed the skin to cause some changes and as a result you see this colour change.

it is usually transient.

Application of a moisturizer is enough to lighten it over a period of time.

Another possibility in his case seems to fungal infection called pityriasis versicolor. It can cause various colour changes.

Its nothing to worry about. I would recommend application of clotrimazole cream on it twice a day for 2 weeks.

It does not appear to be a birth mark. That is the third most common possibility.

I would say it will be best to observe the spots and see how they progress in a couple of weeks. Till then you can apply clotrimazole cream and a moisturizing cream.

There is nothing to worry about. W can review it again in 2 weeks.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if you have any queries. I will be glad to answer all of them.

Take care