How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Category: Paediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 2013
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Paediatrics Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

Can someone tell me if microlax is approved for use in

Customer Question

Can someone tell me if microlax is approved for use in children in UK without a prescription. I am getting conflicting advice. The leaflet in the packet I have says should consult doctor for children under 6 and when I called NHS111 they said its not approved for under 3 years, but it wasnt clear if they meant without a prescription or not. The packet I have was sent to my ex partner by his mother from abroad. I have never administered it, but I just want to know what the guidelines are as to whether it is safe in a child from 2 years until 4 years.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 21 days ago.
Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.Please could you provide a photo of the box? Thanks
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 21 days ago.
Below 3 it is not licensed. But it is a prescription drug.If you can list the ingredients or provide a photo I can double check this against the formulary
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 21 days ago. this is it, this is the British Formulary Guide
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Cant send photo, Also its in Dutch. The dosage is 5ml .Net doctor guidance is below:Use with caution in
Elderly or debilitated people.
Children over three years of age. This medicine should only be used to treat constipation in children when prescribed by a doctor.
Not to be used in
Children under three years of age.
People with inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
Acute gastrointestinal conditions.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i think that is it. I read the risk warning in the packed and managed to translate it from Dutch. It says under 6 should consult a doctor. My sons dad has been giving him this from before he was 3. And i think he is still giving it to him. I have called NHS111 and police and social services to get advice. what harm could be done to him from this?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
police are now investigating with medical professionals and social services. I feel quite frightened by this now.
They said I did the right thing in telling them. They said they dont come across these situations very often. But they are going to send a team out to check on him and understand any harm come to him. They said they might even have to remove him from the home with his dad to get him help . This is really scary for me.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 20 days ago.

Okay, I am sorry to hear you are in this situation. I would avoid the medication unless it is prescribed by a doctor as it is quite a drug to use unless other options for constipation have failed.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am really upset about it. I am trying to get help from police and social services because from what I can tell he should not have been given it by his dad or gandmother. Do you know what the side effects are?
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 20 days ago.

Other than diarrhoea, there should not be any particular concerning side effects.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
police are arguing saying they found something on NHS website suggesting it is authorised...
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 20 days ago.

I am sorry, but I am confused from what you are saying. This would not be a police matter, neither would the police comment on medical matters.

Certainly if you have safe guarding concerns then social services are who you should speak to.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
police say it is social services who need to deal with it
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 20 days ago.

Well I hope you resolve the issues you are having. Take care.