Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS, Fellowship in sports medicine. Deals with general pediatric surgical disorders.
5625079

I want to know why my baby has been making squeaking and

Customer Question

Hi. I want to know why my baby has been making squeaking and grunting noises. He's also got a stuffed nose... not a cold or cough just general congestion. No fever no distress, feeding well and weeing/pooing is fine. I want to make sure it's all normal
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: There is no cough.
JA: Anything else in your child's medical history you think the Expert should know?
Customer: Nothing known. He is 6 weeks 1 day old born 27th September 2020. I'm a first time mum.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 20 days ago.

I am sorry, your question was unanswered for long.

A thumb rule for a newborn is that if the baby is feeding well and not crying, he is fine.

Squeaking and grunting noises are due to the baby learning passing bowel gases or burping on its own.

The noises which need a medical attention are;

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/your-newborn-babys-breathing-noises#1

There is nothing to worry about your description.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is it like mild colic? He doesn't cry for hours like tell tale sign of colic though.
Anything I can do to relieve it?
Also, what can I do about his congestion?

It is more of adjusting the bowel gases and effort of it gives a noise as sometimes we make when we lift the weight. It is not mild intestinal colic.

This is a physiological phenomenon so no active treatment is needed or advised.

For nasal congestion; the best physiological treatment is the child's saline nasal spray which is over the counter and keeps the noise humidified and prevents dryness of the nose.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I already have humidifiers at home and do use saline spray which does help for sometime. I'll continue to use it as/when needed.
Thanks for the help and answers. This is quite reassuring that there is nothing wrong and it's all quite normal.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you and your baby and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you.

Stay blessed.