Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

We have a problem with our 3 monts son, he's on bottle

Customer Question

hi. we have a problem with our 3 monts son, he's on bottle (Kendamil) and it seems the food isn't right for him. At first he was on Aptamil however I thought Kendamil is organic and doesn't have palm oil and will be more beneficial. Over the time he started to eat less amounts in one go and now he almost stopped asking for food. As soon as he gets it he starts turning his head to sides and stops eating, then after a while he asks for food again and then same situation
JA: What are all your symptoms, and how severe are they?
Customer: also he has red rush on his tummy, at first it was small dry areas then it turned to larger areas which almost looks like burnt skin
JA: Got it. How long have you been dealing with the redness? Is this the first time this has happened?
Customer: the redness on tummy appeared a few weeks ago we conulted GP but hey said it's just red skin
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: today his food intake has lowered, normally by this time he'd eat around 500-600 today it's less and now he has belly cramps, like colic, just after starting the food
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 19 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, I am a UK GP and happy to help. Thank you for contacting us today.

From what you have said, if he is more fussy with the bottle, or if there is a rash, my first thought would be cows milk allergy.

In these circumstances it is important to make sure your child is weighed regularly to ensure they are thriving. I would also consider a hydrolysed formula without the cows milk protein. You can get this on prescription from your GP which I would advise you try given what is happening.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hello doctor. Thanks so much for confirming this, we have suspected it. We have to act today so we're going to try and take our son to the hospital and get a replacement for his milk.

That is my pleasure, and I think that is a sensible choice. Best of luck.