Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My son is 7 years old and since last year I have noticed

Customer Question

Hi, My son is 7 years old and since last year I have noticed that he licks the tip of his fingers on both hands (first one hand and then the other). He joins the fingers together and then licks it. When I told him not to do he started hiding and doing it. Need advise regarding this behaviour
JA: Do you have pain or weakness in your fingers? How have you been coping?
Customer: no there is no pain he just licks his fingers
JA: Got it. What have you tried so far? When did you last visit a doctor?
Customer: nothing. I spoke to my GP and she said did get few blood tests done but couldn't identify and reasons
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no dont think there is anythingCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Paediatrics
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (45ZZ5TT)
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.    Kids of this age often exhibit tics or rituals.    Commonly they go away on their own, but rarely can be a sign of a mental disorder or OCD.

You are going to need a complete comprehensive psychological evaluation.   Start with your pediatrician.    Your child needs an evaluation in person.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sure, no worries. I am happy to answer your questions. I have attached a video of how he licks to show you what I mean
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I get a comprehensive psychological evaluation
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I did see the video.     You are in the UK so so need to start with your GP first.   If you are willing to private pay, you can make an appointment with a children’s mental health specialist.    Your GP can help on that.   If you let me know where you are, I may be able to to help more.  Does this help to answer your question? Please let me know if there is anything you do not understand and if you have any feedback for me.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I live in Hayes, Middlesex. I am ok anywhere in London
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 13 days ago.

Are you willing to private pay? If you can, here is a link to follow.

https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/child-adolescents/private-child-psychiatrist/child-psychiatrists-in-london

Does this help to answer your question? Please let me know if there is anything you do not understand and if you have any feedback for me.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have one more question if I want to go to the GP can I tell them that I was recommended by a private Paediatrician and use this as a reference
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 12 days ago.

No, they would not accept that.    This is a question and answer service.   Its not medical care and it is not a consult with a private pediatrician.    I’m sorry.   Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.