Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

My 13 month old is not eating anything for last 10 days.. He

Customer Question

My 13 month old is not eating anything for last 10 days.. He had a fever for few days Now he is fine from fever perspective.. but he is not eating anything solid .. lost 600 grams in 10 days
JA: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?
Customer: He had for 3 days and no respiratory symptoms .. we gave him paracetamol and nerofen
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He is asking for breast milk everytime he is hungry.. and clearly avoid any solids or puree when offered
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good afternoon Dr Ruff..
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your child. It is reassuring they no longer have a fever, however not eating is often more a sign of a sore throat.

Given this has been 10 days, I would suggest getting them seen to be assessed. They may require antibiotics if ongoing.

But 10 days is a good amount of time and you would expect that they should be improving by now.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok.. is demanding for breast milk a normal sign during sore throat .. ?
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

With a sore throat, fluid increase often happens, they will also be hungry to understandable they would demand this more if easier to swallow than solids.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What are the option to ease the sore throat ..
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

Paracetamol or ibuprofen can be used, but I would recommend them being seen given the age and duration of symptoms.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks ..
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 14 days ago.

That is my pleasure, all the best, ***** ***** that they feel better soon.