Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

My little girl, almost 5 years old, constantly suffers from

Customer Question

My little girl, almost 5 years old, constantly suffers from a cough. I recently had a covid test which is negative. I gave her syrup and paracetamol but they have no effect .she stays like this more than 14 days but no temperature. I would like to know what I could give to get over his cough? Thank you!
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: more than 14 days
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no temperature
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

I would suggest:

Rest.

Fluids. Keep her well hydrated is vital, you should give plenty of fluids like Pedialyte and juices and milk along with feeds..

Otrivin Saline. nose drop - to keep the nose open - one drop in both nostrils three times daily.

Cough syrup like Benadryl DR: Discuss with the pharmacist about an appropriate cough syrup for him. As she is above 6 years, you can give him a cough syrup like Benadryl DR which works in dry cough.

Humidifier: use a humidifier in your room at night as dry air aggravates these symptoms.

Use a neck wrap or muffler to keep the throat warm

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Logenges: suck hard logenges like Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 14 days ago.