Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

There’s a 1 and half baby she’s my niece. She’s been

Customer Question

there’s a 1 and half baby she’s my niece. She’s been infected by covid 19 and been giving calpol every 4 hours, however fever is not calming down and she is crying loads. And she has bad throat and can’t eat anything. Is there anything she can do?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch I'm sorry to hear about baby feeling unwell. I would advise you to use regular calpol and also ibuprofen too. Make sure she has plenty of cool drinks and take as many layers of clothing off as you can and also use a cold compress cloth (soaked in cool water) on her forehead and also you can apply a fan towards her. If you do all of these it would normally fix the fever situation.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What if she doesn’t get better? Like she finds it very painful and she’s just a kid

If you try all of the above, especially giving regular paracetamol and ibuprofen and she still has a high fever then she would need to be seen in the A&E as she may require advanced treatment to bring her fever down but I would definitely try the above first. I know it's really difficult when they're so small and it can feel helpless but this almost always does work but if not or if concerned it's always worth getting her seen in person as above. I hope she settles and gets better very soon. All the very best.