Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

My 10month grandson has been prescribed miconazole nitrate

My 10month grandson has been prescribed miconazole nitrate 2.5ml qds for thrush by his doctor.
The information leaflet in the box states that children under 2 years old should receive 1.25ml qds. The first dose was administered as prescribed unaware until the information leaflet was checked that an error appears to have been made by the doctor.
I am most concerned.Furthermore, a potential side effect of the medication is diarrhoea.
My grandson has been suffering from diarrhoea for several days.
I am concerned that this double dose will exacerbate matters. No further doses will be given until medically qualified clarification is received.Please advise.

Thanks for using just answer

Let me check this for you

Yes according to the BNF childrens formulary, you should apply 1.25ml 4 times daily or 1/4 of spoon for ages 4 to 24 months

You have given 2.5ml as first dose, this is not a problem

As its given 4 times daily to a total of 5ml, you can give 1.25ml twice and then in the enxt 24hrs go back to 1.25ml 4 times daily

In terms of the diarrhea, if this is due to medication, it should settle within 7 days, if not stool sample should be sent to lab

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

You're welcome