Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

My son is 5 months old and suffers with constipation, he’s

Customer Question

My son is 5 months old and suffers with constipation, he’s mainly breastfed but gets no more than 200ml per day of formula, I give him nanny care - goats milk one as well as probiotics to help with his digestion but it doesn’t seem like help. I do the tummy massages as well as offer him about 30ml of water but he rejects it most of the time. We are seeing chiropractor as well for this but it doesn’t seem like helping much either, I’ve seen gp and all they do prescribe laxatives - been giving him movicol when he would go about 4 days without passing a stool, did try to give him microlax as well which worked brilliant but just don’t want to keep giving him all this medicine
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: as it’s not good
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: yes I have described I did give him medication yes and I have seen and spoken to doctors about it but it seems like they just prescribe more medication
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think about I tried to explain as much as possible
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 14 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA

What milk formula you are giving?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just forgot to mention that he was on aptamil before and he got his first constipation when he was about 4-5 weeks old that was the first time I got prescribed laxative and gave him once and it all sorted itself out, he would get constipated now and then afterwards but I never needed to give him any laxative as he would just pass the stool after 3-4 days by himself and the would go to toolet twice a day as normal, but everything changed after I gave him aptamil anti reflux milk, I think it made him so constipated and very painful to pass stool, I gave him this milk just for like 2 weeks and stopped, but since I gave him this milk the constipation just doesn’t improve and it’s been about 2 months now.

You can stop goat milk, give formula without iron supplements. This should resolve constipation over some time. You can give Honey as well this will work naturally.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At the moment it’s nanny care - goats milk
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Which formula milk is without iron supplement
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
how much honey should I give him and should I give him added to water or honey on its own?

Yes added with water about a 5ml of honey only when needed.

Give any milk formula without iron.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
As he’s constipated now would I give him honey once or twice a day until he passes his stool?
Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 13 days ago.

Yes, you can give once or twice.