Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

What is classed as a hypo in a non diabetic hypoglycaemic 2

Customer Question

What is classed as a hypo in a non diabetic hypoglycaemic 2 year old?
Does reoccurring hypoglycaemia cause damage to the brain?
Is it safe to leave hypoglycaemia to correct itself
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

Hypoglycaemia needs to be treated, it implies a low blood sugar. What is your child’s glucose level?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They drop anything down to 1.2
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The hospital I am staying in says they cannot deal with my sons care as he is too complex but they have told me not to treat his hypos even if they are 1.2 unless he is symptomatic or unconscious (he never is symptomatic even at 1.2) as they believe that they will come up themselves after 30 minutes. I refuse to take these steps as I am concerned about the issues this may cause in the future.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

That is low. I think this is better to have a conversation with their paediatrician who knows why they have low levels

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They don’t know. We have been in hosptial for 4 weeks. He has had these hypos for over a year. We have just moved to this area. He is peg fed and it’s related to feeds. Even his feed that runs 60ml per hour overnight, causes hypos. But when he fasts, he has no hypo
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry to here of this situation, I do not think however I will be able to provide you with an in-depth answer for what is likely a complex si

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could you confirm if hypos affect the brain?
Could you also confirm what is classed as a hypo in a non diabetic
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 13 days ago.

If persistent and untreated then yes, but this is the immediate effect. If corrected it shouldn’t be an issue

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry could you clarify what you mean?So as soon as blood sugars are low, the brain begins being affected?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 12 days ago.

The brain requires glucose, low glucose can make people more confused, as to the long term effects, this isn’t effecting blood supply so shouldn’t have long term consequences