Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

Team, My daughter 4 year old is not well from last 4 days.

Customer Question

Hi Team, My daughter 4 year old is not well from last 4 days. She is having cold, cough, fever (101).. in day time she feel better till paracetamol is effective, specially in night time she will get high fever 101
JA: How long has your daughter's four-year-old been using paracetamol? Has it helped at all?
Customer: from last 2 days, Calpol, this is helping but not completely
JA: Got it. How long has she been dealing with the cough? Is this the first time this has happened?
Customer: cough is there from last 4 days....actually we have arrived from India 2 months back she was perfectly fine, She strated going to Nursery from last 15 days....and expose to new weather for her here in Morley, Leeds
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing, she was perfectly fine....we are in regular touch with Dr in India and done all vaccination as well
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

I am sorry to hear. How old is your daughter? Have you had a COVID test for her? Is she struggling with her breathing?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can you please help
I am in touch wth my GP , they said compelte RTPCR first for her then only they will be able to check.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We booked COVID test which we will arrived today ....
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She is not struggling with her breathing
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

So she certainly has viral sounding symptoms. My question is if she needs to be seen. So if she is feeding well and not having any difficulty breathing then this is reassuring, if she is having a problem then she would need to be seen regardless of the COVID test

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

Therefore it is likely to be self limiting and continuing with paracetamol is a good thing to do

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok. Thank you
How can i assure this is not COVID?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Does paracetamol help in viral recovery ?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

If the PCR test is negative then you can be sure. Paracetamol doesn’t help with the recovery, but it helps control a fever and therefore makes you feel better

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can you please recommend something for Viral recovery
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

Rest and ensuring to drink enough fluid and avoid dehydration is key

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. Anything else you would like to rcommend ?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 21 days ago.

Other than what you are doing, there is nothing else to do