Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

Amperayani, My 4 years old daughter has fever that started

Hi Dr. Amperayani,My 4 years old daughter has fever that started two days ago on Friday afternoon. Her other symptoms on Friday and Saturday were runny nose and mild coughing. However on Sunday afternoon she started to shiver and her temperature suddenly went up to 41.9 Celcius. She also started to vomit (she vomited 3 times within an hour). I have also noticed a little bit of mucus in her stools in the morning. Her right eye has discharge too.We immediately took her to A&E. She was given dioralyte soluton and paracetamol (I gave her ibuprofen at home). Her temperature returned to normal levels after a few hours.At the hospital, she had an urine test. There was microscopic blood in her urine. We were told it is a viral infection and not to worry about blood in urine and repeat it after about a week when she feels better.P.S. She had blood in her urine samples repeatedly in 2019 and was seen by a paediatrician and a renal specialist. Her examination and ultrasound were normal. After a few weeks her urine sample came back normal and she was discharged.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What do you think about her symptoms? Should I be concerned?

Thank you for requesting me here.

I am currently reviewing your question and be back with your shortly.

All the customer or patient information is masked from us due to privacy concerns.

If you don't mind, may I request you send me the screen shots our previous interaction or remind be here please?

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I previously asked you about her repeated infections because I was worried but you have reassured me that she is having repeated viral infections. She had a blood test last month. The results were satisfactory.

Sorry lost connectivity - poor weather.

Hi...I have read through the symptoms you have described and everything is fitting in to viral illness and need not be worried and if she is active now - it falls under only recurrent viral illness again and need not be worried at all.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What do you think about the blood in her urine?Also I was very worried about her very high temperature of 41.9 Celcius. It has never reached that high before.

RBC in the urine is common in viral illness. Do not worry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Amperayani. I feel less worried now.
I would also be very happy if you could answer my questions below.1) How high is too high for a child’s temperature?
2) As she vomited (did not repeat again), do you think this might be due to gastroenteritis?
3) Should her right eye be treated? It is a bit red and still has discharge.

I have seen a maximum of 107F - but such high fever might be fraught with risk of seizures. Occasional vomiting is suggestive of viral and not gastroenteritis. No need to treat the right eye and it will get better by itself within a week.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thankfully she didn’t have seizures.Thank you so much once again Dr. Amperayani. Your advice is very valuable for me.

I wish her good health and bright future!

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

You can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi again Dr. Amperayani,I had to take my daughter to hospital again 2 days ago due to high fever (41.5 Celcius). She was checked again and we were told it still seems like a viral infection but to start antibiotics if she still has fever after 2 days which is today. Today is the 7th day of fever. Yesterday it was up to 39 C and today 38 C. It responds to the medication. I just can’t decide whether I should wait untill tonight to see if her fever comes back or should I start the antibiotics (Amoxcillin) straight away?
When compared to first 2 days of this 7 days of fever do you think in the last 2 days she is improving or same or worse?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Her temperature goes down with medicine (it wasn’t going down a lot even with medicine 2 days ago) but she still has shivering when it starts to go up. Her other symptoms (runny nose, eye discharge) stays the same but she coughs (chesty cough) more.
I understand and thank you for the information. In all probability as I feel that this is viral fever and in another 24 to 48 hours she should be completely. If I am given a choice I would wait for another 48 hours and then if there is still fever persisting I would do a rapid antigen diagnostic test for streptococcus and take a blood culture and then start her on antibiotic preferably Amoxicillin.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I asked for a blood test at the hospital when we were there 2 days ago but was told they will first try antibiotics and if that doesn’t work then they will do a blood test.
You are right and before starting an antibiotic it is always better to take a test and blood culture. It is not prudent to use antibiotic and then take blood culture.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
As they are not accepting to do a blood test at the moment, should I start Amoxcillin now or do you think I should still wait another 24 hours?I asked private clinics for a blood test as well but their results return period is 1-2 days at the earliest.
Blood culture will take 2 days and 5 days for preliminary report and final report and they are right. But in my opinion you can wait for 24 hours before starting antibiotic.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice Dr. Amperayani.
Get well soon!
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Dear Dr. Amperayani,My daughter still has fever. Today is the 8th day of fever. Her temperature was between 37.5-38.6 all day. I didn’t give her any medication though. Her coughing continues. Runny nose and eye discharge continues too but less bothersome.Should I start the Amoxcillin or do you think we can wait one more day?
It is almost 102 degrees Fahrenheit and please start on Amoxicillin.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Amperayani.
You are welcome and I wish her an early recovery.