Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

My 11week is not opening bowels regularly, when he does it

Customer Question

My 11week is not opening bowels regularly, when he does it looks like diarrhoea. This has been going on for a few weeks. Should I be concerned?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes, dr given laxido but not given as he just opened bowels after two days and it was loose stools
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he had his 8 week vaccinations two weeks ago and is on 2ml calcium four times a day
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Is he breast fed or formula?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Formula c&g
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Something similar to this

Formula fed babies often develop constipation. This is often followed by diarrhea.

Check the baby formula carefully to see that you are not giving it in a more concentrated form.

Put the baby in a squatting position during the BM.

You can also give him Karo water after discussing with your doctor.

Another possibility is that he may be having an anal fissure. This is common in babies and is a small tear in the anal mucosa, it makes a bowel movement very painful. It is self resolving and gets better in a few days.

Hence you should check up with his pediatrician for this. Ask about formula feeding amount and concentration, ask about Karo water and also ask about anal fissure.

Till then continue with careful formula feeding.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We are careful with concentration and follow the instructions accordingly. Will ask about Karo water. There is no blood in his stools but will get the Anal fissure checked.

Yes, dont worry this is not concerning. Babies will have irregular bowel habits, this is part of their developement. It will regularize eventually.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks

Glad to help