Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

If a child bearing age woman, but who is on the older end,

If a child bearing age woman, but who is on the older end, is wanting a child in the future, assuming her health is average,
Which is a more succeful option for her to take, on average, from these 2 options:
1. Freezing 1 egg (or several batches)
2. Freezing 1 Embryo (or several)
4. Something else..
Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Freezing an embryo is slightly more successful than your eggs, but the downside is you need the egg to be fertilised now.

Therefore there is really no right or wrong.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Why is the egg being fertilised now a downside?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
But how much more succeful is Embryo? Are talking like 30% more successful? Or like 3% more??

As it needs to be fertilised before freezing. Whereas freezing eggs doesn’t. So it depends if you are in a position to do that now.

You may not deem it a downside.

You are taking like 3%…there is not much in it

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if I plan to look for a partner over the next 12 months, would you say its better to just freeze the eggs incase I do meet someone and then can use his sperm? As a 3% ish better chance with doing an Embryo now isnt big enough to lose the option of using a potential future partners sperm? Or, would you say the risk of the average man having fertility issues too esp if we are both 40+, that maybe using sperm donar which I hear are usually much healthier than the average male and also younger sperm, so, it would be worth keeping an Embryo?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also would you say the difference in a 41yr old egg and a 42yr old egg, assuming health is good, is significantly different and worth freezing now if possible? Or would you say its not worth it and to just try naturally when aged 42?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry, I know I've asked perhaps a different question!

So the sooner you freeze, the better the quality. But that implies to anyone's age.

And yes, freezing eggs mean you are not fixed to the sperm you require now, i.e. you do not need to be specific as to who is the partner.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK. This may sound a bizarre question but here goes, if I use a sperm donar, as I don't have a partner or want to use better vetted sperm, if I choose another ethicnity sperm, it there any affect on pregnancy success? As in could there be slightly more compatibility with the sperm of the same ethnicity? Or is it the same (or better) rate of success using another ethnicities sperm?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I hope thats not politically incorrect but, I'm just looking for facts

Sperm is sperm. Ethnicity doesn’t have an impact on the pregnancy

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you!
That is my pleasure, take care