Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My Son has suffered from chronic constipation for over 6

Customer Question

Hello,My Son has suffered from chronic constipation for over 6 years. He is on daily laxatives, movicol and sodium picosulfate.
He also has a high fibre diet.I have currently emailed the hospital requesting a transit test and yet still now reply.The doctor has told me the sodium picosulfate will resize his bowel over time. But he can't take the recommended dose of 7.5ml as he gets severe cramps from it.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear, what is your question please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you think he does need further investigation?
As he is having daily laxatives, but yet still backing up.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

Yes, very much so, although if under paediatrics it seems unusual it wasn’t investigated given the amount of laxatives required.

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

How old is your son?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have asked for a transit test years ago and it was ignored. Previously emailed and still no reply! I had to force for an x-ray 2 years ago and it showed his poo was completely blocked from top to bottom! He is 8.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They have tested for celiac and done a blood test. He is growing well, but still suffers with his stools. His stools are soft. But very large, or massive explosions. He understands the feeling of going to the toilet etc.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He also has a plant based diet, I feel he eats very well for a 8 year old.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Every time I go to his hospital appointment we get told the same thing, his bowel has been massively stretched from all the poo storing and building, therefore we need to keep him on the laxatives to make sure he is going to the toilet daily and to re size his bowel.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Dr.Baker are you there?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.
Sorry, I wasn’t receiving your responses. Those initial investigations are reassuring and there certainly be no other solution other than what they are already doing.

But still with the follow up with them to review as some of the laxatives are not very well tolerated.