Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

My son has a scratch like rash of red dots, but they are

My son has a scratch like rash of red dots, but they are flat, they disappear and then reappear
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: he has had them for about 5/6 days
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** also provide an image if needed

Yes, that would be very helpful

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve just attached it.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My son is 3, he had a rash two weeks ago which we were prescribed Oilatum for, which cleared it up. Since that, he has had marks like this appear, not just on his back but also on his arms. They fade in a few days but then seem to reappear
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Our GP has said she didn’t know what it was and to monitor it, but to my knowledge he has never had these before so I’m concerned. He seems otherwise well apart from a slight cold this past week.

Do these spots fade under pressure (i.e. if skin is stretched or a glass is rolled over them)?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No they don’t, it’s as if they are under the skin

Yes, that’s what I thought - they are petechia (essentially small bruises)

Is there any chance he has been scratching the skin?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This was my concern as I’m aware they’re linked with leukaemia and other serious issues
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m not sure. Where they are at the top of his back, I’m not totally sure if he can reach this or not. He also had them come up in the same place on both forearms a couple of days ago
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They fade after a couple of days but then seem to reappear somewhere else. He’s a very active 3 year old so I wasn’t sure if it was something he was doing on his soft play etc but he’s never had these before that I’m aware of

Is there any itch?

Is there any other skin rash, dryness etc?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don’t believe there is an itch, or if there is I haven’t seen him do it. He does have dry skin, mainly on his arms and legs, which are quite bumpy and always have been. I’ve been moisturising with the Oilatum for the last two weeks however. There’s no other rash, he did have one prior to these spots starting but this cleared after a few days of Oilatum and our GP suggested a skin irritation

The reason I am enquiring is that the rash in the image appears to be linear (seems to follow 4 fairly straight lines) and the most likely explanation for this is minor trauma from fingernails scratching. This is commonly seen with dry skin conditions in children (and often these flare during periods of acute illness such as a cold). It sometimes happens as a reflexive response to itch when they are asleep.

It is very reassuring that he is generally well otherwise and there is only a relatively short history of this rash. It should be fine to monitor for now (and cut the fingernails quite short), seeking further advice if it fails to resolve over the next week or two, or if any new symptoms/concerns develop in the meantime.

I hope this is helpful.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This was the one on his arm yesterday
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I understand what you mean about the lines, I wondered if these were almost too straight for a toddler scratching? He doesn’t really have long nails.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He has a blood test booked for the 27th but as we are away next week I was just abit concerned. In your experience, does this resemble something more serious, leukaemia or blood disorders?

Yes, thank you. I think it’s still okay to observe as long as he remains well.

I am not suggesting we ignore it though and the blood tests booked for later this month seem appropriate (I don’t believe they need to be done any sooner than this).

No, it doesn’t resemble anything more serious (including the overall clinical picture).

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. I feel more reassured from speaking with you than my own GP
My pleasure, Im glad I could be of some help.

Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.