Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

10 month old baby wakes up inconsolable and will only sleep

Customer Question

Hi there, 10 month old baby wakes up inconsolable and will only sleep on his mother (and only briefly).He has had sickness (just a couple of times, now gone), temperature of up to 38 (much better than it was) and diarrhea (not as bad as it was). Been on paracetamol and ibuprofen (alternately every 4hrs) for almost 72hrs. A little bit of paracetamol before that but not regularly.He's teething but never been inconsolable like this and was still smiling, even during the sickness and diarrhea (more than a week of this now).We took him to the hospital when he was extremely lethargic (never seen him like this before) and they prescribed the paracetamol and ibuprofen for the temperature but didn't say how long to continue with that treatment.We are worried now because he's so exhausted and will barely sleep.Still takes tiny amounts of food (he usually eats much more), drinks water occasionally, and also takes milk from a bottle, but much less than usual.No allergies, no other medication.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Nothing of note in past medical history. Had had all of his vaccines.No medication apart from paracetamol and ibuprofen.Before last week he had only ever had paracetamol.
Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just checked with his mum and she's stopped giving the ibuprofen. Just paracetamol now
Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

From the detailed history looks like he is having issues with teething

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's the lethargy that we're worried about. Also temperature back up to 38
Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Does he still have high temperature???

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

are you still there???

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

If there is no fever and he is eating and drinking although small and passing urine ok then nothing to be worried

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

However you need to keep giving him both paracetamol and Ibuprofen for another 1-2 days routinely

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

You can usually look after your child or baby at home. The temperature usually returns to normal within 3-4 days:

1. give plenty of fluids and look out for signs of dehydration
  2. give routine food if they want it
  3. check on your child regularly during the night
  4. keep at home
  5. give paracetamol and Ibuprofen if needed regularly for next 2-3 days
  6. Please do not undress your child or sponge them down to cool them, a high temperature is a natural and healthy response to infection and also do not cover them up in too many clothes or bedclothes

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Lethargy could be either due to dehydration or due to fever

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

so please take care of both hydration and fever

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

Need to see doctor quickly only if:

• has a high temperature that's lasted for 5 days or more
  • has a high temperature that does not come down with paracetamol and Ibuprofen
  • is dehydrated – such as nappies that are not very wet, sunken eyes, and no tears when they're crying
  • does not want to eat, or is not their usual self and you're worried
  • has other signs of illness, such as a rash, as well as a high temperature
  • has a rash that does not fade when you press a glass against it

Expert:  Zee J replied 8 days ago.

I am still here

Please do let me know if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer

Best of luck

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Apologies, Internet went down
Expert:  Zee J replied 7 days ago.

No problem

Expert:  Zee J replied 7 days ago.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions regarding above discussion

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello again, baby's mood has improved but he has yellowy green pus coming from one ear, so we think that's what was causing the screaming.We are still giving him ibuprofen and paracetamol.They didn't notice anything abnormal in his ears last week at the hospital. (I think Monday and Thursday, so 8 days ago and 5 days ago)
Expert:  Zee J replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for asking question

If he is leaking greenish discharge from ear then he needs review as he might need antibiotics if there is any bacterial infection

So please take him to local children emergency for review