Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

My daughter of 9 weeks has really bad reflux. She is on

Customer Question

My daughter of 9 weeks has really bad reflux. She is on omeprazole and infant gaviscon, but still not working. She is crying inconsolably and in pain. My other daughter went through the same but back then she was prescribed ranitidine and domperidone. My baby needs something for the pain, can you please help me?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she has also been put on puramino milk formula
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 14 days ago.
Hello! I’m Dr.Customer It is a pleasure to me to attend you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My daughter of 9 weeks has really bad reflux. She is on omeprazole and infant gaviscon, but still not working. She is crying inconsolably and in pain. My other daughter went through the same but back then she was prescribed ranitidine and domperidone. My baby needs something for the pain, can youplease help me?

I understand that your daughter is a 9 week old baby, right?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that’s right
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what can we do?
Please give me a moment, I’m writing your answer
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to be able to attend you today, I want to tell you that gastroesophageal reflux in children up to 4 to 6 months old is really common due to the lack of development of the lower esophageal sphincter which is the one that helps to keep food in the stomach, as the lower oesophageal sphincter is not sufficiently developed then food passes from the stomach into the oesophagus and out through the oral cavity, the recommendation is to always try to remove all gas after each milk intake as the normal microbiota of the constantly developing gastrointestinal tract constantly produces gas which triggers intestinal distention, for this reason it is important to consider the removal of gas by tapping on the back after each feeding and also for infant colic, which is the name given to severe abdominal pain caused by prolonged crying in infants, circular massages of the abdomen in a clockwise direction can be helpful, This will stimulate the solar plexus which is a cluster of nerve endings that transmits painful nerve impulses and soothes the pain. Last but not least it may be necessary to start treatment with simethicone drops, one drop per kilo of weight will be very useful every 8 hours to reduce the amount of gas that forms in the intestine. I would like you to tell me about the evolution of your baby in the coming days, I will be happy to help you and guide you in everything I can, remembering that within the alarm guidelines it is vital that when the baby has prolonged irritability or inconsolable crying in arms is a situation that requires immediate medical attention.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are simethicone drops prescribed. All of the above has already been done as I have been here before but she is much worse than my other daughter ever was. I know reflux is common so what medication could she be prescribed as I am getting no where with my own doctor

Dear customer, I am sorry that you cannot find relief from this situation, but unfortunately no medication can be provided for the pain, remember that this belongs to the normal development of your baby's gastrointestinal microbiota and is an inevitable developmental process which must be contained with all the measures I provided above as any type of medication can intervene in the normal development of the normal bacterial flora of the gastrointestinal tract affecting considerably the digestion of food, proteins and lipids from the milk and also the processing by his body.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Even though my other daughter was prescribed stuff which put her out of pain?

Yes dear, it all really depends on the findings found during the physical examination and the possible causes, the age of the baby and the diagnosis of course.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you. Well we’re here at a&e now and they have now witnessed what happens during and after a feed. They have called the boss down so sounds like they are going to sort her out. Thanks for your time

You are welcome; I am here for you if you have any other questions
.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

have an excellent day

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
you
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 13 days ago.

:) Regards