Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Genuine tow bar electric kit...

Hi, I have a 407 1.6 Hdi sw from July 2005, I'm putting a genuine tow bar electric kit on it which is the One that my local Peugeot dealer said is correct. When I look in the near side of the boot for the plug, there is not One, but a box of tricks already. My local dealer says the kit needs to be piggy backed onto the exsisting Box. When I do this I lose all my rear electrics. Is this correct and will it be sorted once the dealer reprograms my ECU with the planet software? HELP. Adrian

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name isXXXXX happy to help / advise you on this...

It is "normal" to get a loss or malfunction yes when with a vehicle that needs programming - ( the kit coding in ) ...

Of course Im assuming you have wired it all in correctly to start with - that being the case, once its been coded in / programmed all should be well yes.

You will have to leave it off until its booked in meantime Im afraid.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike

I'm not sure about the wiring, do I swop the plugs from the original fuse box and put them on the tow bar fuse box, an the the towbar fuse box wires on to the original fuse box before I give the car to the dealer to reprograme ? And if so, which of the wiresl/plugs do I swop?

Kind Regards Adrian

Hi again Adrian..

Thank you for your reply..

To be perfectly honest Adrian, Im not too sure - I say that because it depends on your circumstances for one. ie, if you are going to have to drive the car there to be done, you need your lights working - so you can't really deal with the connections before taking it there- secondly - without knowing exactly which you have and the diagrams for the car etc I wouldn't know.

Most people though just lay the wiring in in this situation and leave it to them to connect up - its not a big task for them.. and not only that - if anything is not right.. they have to put it right then - as opposed to blaming you for your "wiring" ! which does happen....!

So again, if you have to drive it there - that really is the best advice there Adrian -

Again - get back to me if you need - Im always happy to help more if I can -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.............. Please do click on the OK ~ Excellent ratings service for me now as that is how Im credited for my time etc in helping you... Thank you in advance for that.

Nb - You can get back to me anytime you might need / wish - clicking the OK ratings service does not close you out...

Rgds - MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

turns out the kit listed does not fit my car, correct one on order. Thanks