350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Brakes dont work properly for about 500mtrs then they are

Brakes dont work properly for about 500mtrs then they are perfect.peugeot 2008.on a 14 plate
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 3400 origonal brakes
Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Peugeot?
Customer: Alure 1.6 hdi
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mechanic at a loss as it sorted itself out so quickly
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem with the sticky handbrake aswell.may this be connected with this problem?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st double check all the unions for tightness on all the joints.
Also I'd use a pressure bleeder such as Easibleed to push fluid through to each corner first then use the two person method below to bleed the brakes.

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

Repeat this a few times on all calipers and start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside
the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS
and then re-bleed

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt