Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My Peugeot vti 1.6 is making a Knocking noise from inside

Customer Question

Hi my Peugeot vti 1.6 is making a Knocking noise from inside the engine. I've check levels and they are fine. No warning logs, it's due a service... Any ideas?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi there...

Have you ever had any oil warning come on at any point prior to this?

How does the engine run generally since this problem ie: missfire? / engine vibrating etc?

Does this happen during cold or hot or at all times...does it change in any way when increasing rpms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last oil warning light came on about 2 months ago but wasn't too low, the knock increases in speed as the revs go up.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Ok...If its a heavy knocking your hearing then by the sounds of it im afraid - it could well be internal wear,failed bottom end bearing/rod bearing..if thats the case then that engine is pretty much un repairable..and you would need to seek a secondhand good running engine as replacement..the only way they will know for sure is to get the sump taken off and to visually inspect the bottom end for wear....if you've had the oil light on a while ago then the damage from then to now could already be done as you hear now ,maybe the intial cause being oil starvation or a problem with the oil pump...so certainly have the car looked at as soon as possible..but if that knocking is fairly heavy from within the engine? then as above could well be the problem..hope this helps