Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer

2004 307 cabriolet is having intermittent failure of the

Customer Question

2004 307 cabriolet is having intermittent failure of the power assisted steering.
Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: Yes. The level was on minimum but I topped it up using the approved fluid purchased from a Peugot dealer.
Assistant: Are you fixing your 307 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the PAS checked over by an independent garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. My main concern is that the car is potentially dangerous to drive. I have driven it and it seemed OK but it's my partner's car and the first time she tried it after it was checked it failed again.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I called the AA out to it two weeks ago. The AA guy refused to let the car be driven and insisted on recovering it home.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to a mechanical failure of the steering pump itself.If the steering pump has an internal mechanical fault this issue will occur like you see here.I would have the pump pressure tested to see if the pump itself needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete