350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years

Oil pressure warning light keeps coming on and setting off

Oil pressure warning light keeps coming on and setting off the stop warning lights on the dash. Engine is up to the mark on the dip stick. Is it faulty oil pressure switch? Just don't know where to find it!
Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No. Assume as all coming on the fuses must be good? It is a 2006 peugout 307 SE HDi 1560cc. Had problems with turbo last year and all replaced and oil/filters changed as recommended.
Assistant: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: The turbo was a genuine replacement so assume it was a new one. It certainly cost enough. Feed pipes, etc all replaced as well.
Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Turbo all done over a year ago and been no problem
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with separate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As its intermittent and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

if this is all OK and the oil pressure is at least 1.3Bar ( 20psi) at hot idle then replace the switch

If you do have a low pressure reading and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for that. Where abouts is the oil pressure switch on the engine? Having trouble locating it. Once I've found that I should be ok.Cheers

looks like its on the bottom of the oil filter housing

see the attached image - item 20

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for that. I think these little cars are a bit prone to problems like this! Renewed turbo and all pipework etc 18 months ago. I fear this may be the end of the little engine as it sounds a bit too rattly for even a cold diesel engine!

Oh dear

still you can pick up a good used engine for about £1000 (less turbo) that will come with a 30 day gaurentee

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt