350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

My 607 has on 3 occasions this week the steering started

My 607 has on 3 occasions this week the steering started shuddering twice at 20 mph and once at 60mph only lasted a few seconds then returned to normal it felt like I had a puncture
Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes, could the heavy snowfall last week be part of the roblem
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 2006 2.0 l executive
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not tried do not know where to start
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is the first time I have had any steering problem
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it seems to happen after 30 miles on each of the occasions

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by checking the condition of the tyres for any bulges or splits in the tyre sidewall and that the pressures are correct ( check against the sticker on the door jamb)

if thats OK then its a good idea to car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off any fault codes stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt