Nathan B
Nathan B, Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience working on a wide range of vehicles both as an employee and also running my own garage
27720961

After being parked for six weeks i freezing conditions, my

Customer Question

After being parked for six weeks i freezing conditions, my 307 SW 2.0 had a knocking sound from the engine and went into limp mode when going higher than 3000rpm. Fault codes were P1160,P1161 and P0341. I changed the camshaft sensor with no result. Eventually I ended up with only P1160, but the behavior was the same. I removed the camshafts and cleaned the hydraulic lifters, installed a new timing belt and used the timing tools for the camshaft sprockets and the crankshaft flywheel. The timing seem to be off, as the car does not start properly. I have experimented a bit by taking the crankshaft slightly out of detent and been able to get the engine to start and run as long as I work the pedal, so I suspect there is a problem with the timing. How do I find the correct timing position? There are two holes in the flywheel a few degrees apart, that the position tool can be used in. One of them is a little bit out of center, compared to the hole in the housing. I suppose the on that i centered is the correct one. What is the other used for?Peter
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A small correction. There are three holes in the flywheel. The first one that is in the center of the large housing hole. A few degrees after (in clockwise direction), is a slightly offset hole of same depth (the tool still fits, but is tilted slightly) and a few degrees after that is yet another slightly offset hole, not as deep as the previously.
The only hole that gives some kind of ignition, when used as reference to the cam sprockets, are the first one.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Yourmechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question.Thank you very much for trust in justanswer. I'm sorry for any delay. Iam returning to the platform.

Do you still want help?