350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

My peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi starts then cuts out and then wont

Customer Question

my peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi starts then cuts out and then wont start if you leave it for a few hours it will start then run for a few days then does it again ,
Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: no but they seem ok i did charge the battery once and it was ok for a while
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 62 plate il check the model know
Assistant: Are you fixing your 62 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes it first happened a few months ago so i changed the fuel filters then couldnt get it going and it drained the battery so i charged it an it started fine but the fault came back
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Expert:  350matt replied 5 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt