CarDoc
CarDoc, Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

The gears will no longer engage, when we stopped there was

Customer Question

The gears will no longer engage, when we stopped there was smoke coming out of the engine and there's a very odd smell coming from the car the moment you turn it over. I think either the clutch or gearbox has failed...
Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: It's a Peugeot 508 sw estate automatic
Assistant: What year is your 505?
Customer: 2014, done 135000 ish miles
Assistant: Are you fixing your 505 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's broken down on the side of a road at the mo, when you put it in gear nothing happens, it just revs
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was going through the gears too early and over revving through them before it broke down
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  CarDoc replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  CarDoc replied 11 months ago.

The odd smell is the clutch burning, you will have to get the car recovered. The smell is a form of indicator to tell the technician that the clutch plate is burnt because you cannot visibly see the clutch.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thought as much thanks
Expert:  CarDoc replied 11 months ago.

Glad I could help. All the best!

Thank you for using JA.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you it's much appreciated
Expert:  CarDoc replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. All the best with your vehicle repairs.
.
Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. This helps me build my reputation. Your rating benefits the experts that use their time to respond to customers. Thank you