Phillip H
Phillip H,
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Over the past few months the engine has been draining oil

Customer Question

Over the past few months the engine has been draining oil causing me to have to refill more frequently. Today I drove about 4 mins down the road. And it started to feel like its loosing power, and smelt like it was burning and loads of white smoke coming from the exhaust, I called aa and they towed me home without someone coming out to do a diagnostics test
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: July the car was serviced and it was trained and since then I've had to repeatedly put oil in it since then
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 64 plate 208
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 33 000 miles
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My car is a Peugeot 208 64 plate Not a mini
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

It sounds a bit like the Turbo has let go! Is it a diesel engine?

If so undo the intake pipe from the Turbo and you should be able to put your fingers in there and check for play in the end of the Turbine Shaft. If there is play which I suspect there will be then you will need a new Turbo Assembley.

When fitting a new Turbo you will also need to remove the sump to clean the Gauze filter on the pickup and also the Vacuum Pump to clean the Gauze filter in the back of the pump.

Phillip

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Its not diseal its Petrol
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

Have you got a registration number so I can see what engine it is.

Phillip

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
LG640YT
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

Is the vehicle also using any coolant?

It could potentially have a headgasket failure. This can cause oil burning. Remove the spark plaugs and see if any of those are oil fouled and it will give you a clearer idea.

Phillip

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the fluid in the coolant is a browny colour, it looks as if it has oil inside of it. I informed the mechanic who did my service who in return said that the coolant liquid was normal.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Looking at the engine I see only 3 spark plugs if I'm correct
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

On a Peugeot the Coolant should be a Blue / Green Colour.

These are 3 cylinder engines. Some versions also had a turbo fitted but I don't think your one will have.

Phillip