sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Wipers would not go off then all dash lights stayed on

Customer Question

wipers would not go off then all dash lights stayed on battery went flat ing flip and abs braking warning lights went on
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: going to check fuses when rain goes off that was my first thought
JA: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 08 207 1.6 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: jumped started engine runs power steering not working and abs battery light went off but was flat next day
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: engine management light came on then went off when i started it up next time
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, did this happen after working on the battery, the heavy rain or was it unexpected?
Thanks in advance.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 13 days ago.

Dear customer, you may have problems in some gorund of the car so there is where we should check to start.
in addition a diangosis if possible with a diagnostic tool with peugeot software would be good.
If there are no problem you might have a parasitc current.

several tests that i will try to explain the better i could.

Sometimes the battery of our car is discharged for no apparent reason being turned off, to check if there is any power leak we can do it with just a few simple steps.

If your car has a flat battery during the time it is off, for example during the night, we will start by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery.

This to rule out that the car's battery is being discharged by some electrical device of the car.

If in the morning by connecting the negative terminal back to the battery, it kept its charge, undoubtedly we have an energy leak, this means that while both terminals remain connected to the battery the device that is leaking is discharging it, but when a terminal is disconnected, this causes the circuit to open and no electric current to flow.

How to Detect an Energy Leak if the battery is flat from the car when it is turned off

The battery leak test determines if any component or circuit in the vehicle is causing a battery leak when everything is turned off. This test is also known as a power-on test (IOD) or parasitic discharge test.

This test can be carried out whenever any of the following conditions exist:

1.- Whenever a battery is being flat when the car is off (and all its devices)

2.- Whenever the battery is suspected of leaking.

Procedure to detect the Energy Leak

Follow this procedure to perform the battery leak test using a test lamp:

1.- Make sure all lights, accessories and ignition are off.

2.- Check all the doors to make sure that the interior lights are off.

3.- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

4.- Connect the test lamp to the end of the cable disconnected from the battery and to the post of the same

5.- The test lamp should not light. If the lamp turns on, the battery may run out of charge in several hours.