Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

I wish I knew!!!! GL07 WBK Peugeot 207, 2007, My dad is a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl - I wish I knew!!!!
JA: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: GL07 WBK Peugeot 207
JA: What year is your 207?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My dad is a retired mechanical engineer. He has been helping. He has replaced the solenoid valves, the rocker box gasket and also two of the spark plugs (we found oil in them at the bottom of the spark plug wells) I also have the fault codes P11A8 Exhaust camshaft fault dephasing P0014 Exhaust camshaft fault dephasing (intermittent)
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: Yes - iCarsoft
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just in general... the car is running poorly. Basically, it struggles to get to 60mph. The engine is racing. There is also an oily smell after you drive it
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Kevin. Many thanks for your quick reply. This problem really is causing us a headache. Although we have been able to diagnose the problem/s, trying to establish how to repair it is a different matter altogether. It could be anything, ranging from ECU, timing chain and variable pulleys (although there is no chattering in the engine), electrical, etc. We have tried the routine stuff, including new solenoid valves and swapping them around on the engine. But the problem persists. It's a BMW engine, I have been told by a mechanic. I have also been told they are notorious for this type of problem. My dad doubts that the cylinder head is warped as the car can still hit 65-70mph. But it's tough going to get there. Power loss is tremendous. There is no oil in the coolant expansion tank either. Have you any ideas what the solution could be, please, based on the codes outlined above?
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.
I totally understand I see more of these in the minis than the Peugeot’s but it’s all the same and they can be a pain. Do you know what fault codes are stored ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The fault codes are as follows:P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Dephasing Fault Coherence. State: Intermittent
P11A8 Exhaust Camshaft Dephasing Fault Coherence. State: PermanentThis has also just appeared:
P0703 Brake Pedal Position Signal Fault Coherence. State: Intermittent
P1536 Main and Secondary Brake Information Fault Coherence. State: Intermittent
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.
Ok so I would with these codes tart by getting the tools on the engine to check the timing is still in spec . If it is I would replace the exhaust cam pulley
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, thanks Kevin. Are there any types/makes of tools you would recommend to check the timing on the engine, please? Also, is it a difficult job to replace the exhaust cam pulley? Or is it something you would ask a trained mechanic to do? If so, how much should the job cost, for example, local garage v Peugeot dealer. We are based in Basingstoke, Hampshire.
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.

ok, so the best tool at the most reasonable prices are laser tools they will make timing tools for the car. The average cost is around £200 for the tool. the cam pulley requires timing chain removal to fit, it's not a job I would want to take on if I wasn't confident in what I was doing . The average cost for chain and pulley replacement would be around £600

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Kevin. That's really great. thank you. This is tough to weigh up. For example, if I pay £600 for a chain and pulley replacement, I am concerned the problem may persist. I know it is difficult for you without seeing the car, but based on the codes given, do you think this is likely to solve the problem? Also, if it is not the cam pulley and chain, are there any other possible problems it could be linked to? I really appreciate your help. This is far more than I expected to find out.
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.

ok, so from experience I would say the pulley is the most likely cause here. The fault code is telling us the exhaust cam is not reaching the position the engine control unit is expecting it to. The next step is to check the timing as this will tell you a lot about whats going on

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That's excellent. Thanks for your advice. I don't think I have any further questions. This is very much appreciated. I will relate this information to a mechanic/s and price up the job and will likely get it done. Have a good evening!
Expert:  Kevin replied 15 days ago.

You're very welcome. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!