Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Phone Engineer
32989067

My phone reports check line cord I've tried different phones

Hi ! my phone reports check line cord I've tried different phones but none of them work in the socket
Assistant: How old is the phone?
Customer: NO really sure but at least 10 years I think
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Happened today. Have no idea what to do other than try different older phones. It's quite important since my wife is badly disabled and relies on the phone. Broadband and internet continues to work OK
Assistant: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO NOT REALLY

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please the model of your phone system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone appears to be BT 1500

Is it connecting to your BT hub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't have a BT hub. This is a normal but old domestic phone

Ok, what is it connecting to? Which box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about delay. It connects to a BT connection box situated in the hall of my house.

Remove the power to the box, wait 10 minutes, connect the power and tell me how the phone then functions please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done what you said but get same result. Strangely, broadband and email work OK so I wonder if this is a problem at the exchange.

Yes it is, you will need to call BT on 1793 596931 and have them run a line check as this will be where the file is

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. I will have to ring them on my mobile. Reception is very poor where I live so I guess I won't be able to do this until tomorrow. Will advise progress.

Thank you, ***** ***** mark this question to remain open so

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will be in touch again after I've contacted BT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After some delay, a BT engineer has rung to say that the fault is with the exchange and has now been corrected. Consequently, the phones are now operative again.