JamesI
JamesI, Customer Service
Experience:  With 10 years experience managing analouge and digital PBX, he is currently deploying a cloud VOIP system
75967336

We have a BT8610 trio digital cordless phone system. All 3

Goodmorning
JA: What's the brand/model of your phone system?
Customer: we have a BT8610 trio digital cordless phone system. All 3 are showing the message and all 3 handsets are showing line cord error, please check. We also have an alert phone system on the line, in case my elderly dad calls (sorry don't know wha they are officially called)
JA: How long has this been going on with your phone system? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just noticed the error last night about 6pm. only checked all plugs plodded in, don't really know how to reboot but I haven't turned off all the phones
JA: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so, thank you

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Do you have any other phones in the house eg corded phones?

What happens if you call your landline from a mobile do you get a ringing tone on the mobile or engaged?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We do have another corded phone but there is no dialling tone for that and it doesn't work. I can not get to unplug it because it is behind built up units - sorry, not very clever or helpful. The error message about the line cord seems to have cleared butt I have tried ringing my mobile from the house phone and mobile to the house phone and neither rings - incidentally my mobile is Australian number but I am currently at my Dads house in N Yorks. Thanks

Understood, a line fault suggests the phone cant detect a phone line connected.

If the hard wire phone was working previously and not working now it suggests a phone line fault, we can prove this by locating the master socket, this is the socket where the phone line enters the house and normally looks like this one here or here.

Once you locate that you need to unscrew it and this will reveal another socket behind it which you can then plug your wireless phones into and see if you get a dial tone, if you dont then this is most likely to by a fault on the phone line itself.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you - will try this this evening

No problem will follow up with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I located the white BT phone box outside and internally this was in the living room behind the tv.
I unscrewed this but I could not find another socket behind that to plug a phone into.Incidentally I bought a new corded phone and this will not work in any of the phone sockets inside the house.There is another phone box from the BT box going into the office but that has a wire trailing all around the outside of the house.
The old corded phone is plugged into this second socket. I will wait until tomorrow to speak to you but I do not seem to be able to sort this out and I think that I will need a telephone engineer out unfortunately. I can't see that the 2nd tv socket into the office will be the main one unfortunately. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried pulling the desk out a bit and by scrambling underneath I have found that the old cordless phone was not plugged in.
I have taken a photo of both internal sockets.
The one in the office is the double plug but I can not get near enough to start unscrewing it and I do not really want to if there is still a line error.
The wifi is plugged into this 2nd socket and wifi is working in the house both on my ipad and iphone - both these are Australian and I need to be on my parents wifi, as shown in my settings.
I did try plugging the new corded phone into the phone socket at the seperate phone socket next to where the wifi is plugged in but this still did not work.
I think I need an engineer but will await your further advice tomorrow please.
2 photos to follow. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both phone sockets. Thanks

Right do you just have one phone line coming into the property, the second image showing two telephone sockets the one to the left is the masker socket, assuming you have one phone line follow the video here (same process even though they talk about business telephone services).

This does sound like a phone line fault rather than a local fault but far better to verify this so your not left with a £100 bill from BT.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks - we do only have the one phone line
The master socket has got the wifi and that’s workingI tried a phone in the socket next to the master socket and it didn’t work.Appreciate your help but I’m going to get in an engineer as I don’t want to lose wifi and still not have a phone line.
Best wishes and thanks again

No problem please confirm I can close the case.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you
I called BT. They did line checks and confirmed fault is on line and outside property.
Please close the case and thanks again

Thanks for confirming.