Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have just bought a Panasonic telephone with answering

I have just bought a Panasonic telephone with answering machine - KX TGD 624. The earpiece transmits a buzzing noise when a call is made. The noise is audible at both ends of the conversation and is loud enough to distract the users.
JA: When did this sound problem start with your Panasonic system?
Customer: The noise started as soon as the first call was made. There is no noise when the phone is disconnected.
JA: Does it happen on all the handsets?
Customer: This phonereplaces an earlier Panasonic - KX TGA 711E. That phone diod not make any such noise. I have tried the old phone in all the available phone sockets in my house and in none of them does the old phone make this buzzing noise. The new phone, on the other hand makes the buzzing noise in AlL the sockets
JA: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

This would typically a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.
The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

If no change, it would confirm an internal hardware failure. This is most likely a manufacturing defect, and since it is a new system, the best and quickest resolution would be to simply return it to the store where it was purchased for a refund/exchange.

Nathan

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Residential and commercial systems.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you this morning I have done as you suggest. The result is just the same _ the receiver on the base unit still emits a substantial buzz once it is connected to a live call. I get the same result in each of the phone points in my home. And I get nosuch buzz when I reconnect my old phone. I think my only course is to now return this new Panasonic and try again with a different model. Any suggestions? Meanwhile, thank you for trying to help!
Ian Burns

Thank you for checking,

yes at this point it would be an internal hardware defect, so your best option as I mentioned would be to return it to the store.

Nathan