Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;
50717427

I would like some advice about treatments. I have large

Customer Question

I would like some advice about facial treatments. I have large hollows under my eyes, and am thinking of getting a filler injected - but I'm concerned about whether it should be a qualified plastic surgeon who does the treatment (most clinics just seem to have nurses). Also, I went for a consultation, and the Dr. I spoke to said that as there are wrinkles in the hollows the injectables might just make the problem worse. Can you comment?Also, I would like to know whether light therapy with things like the Zero Gravity Perfection https://www.amazon.com/PERFECT… is actually any use? This device is quite expensive, and there seem to be a lot of much cheaper light therapy devices on the market, so wondering if it is worth the cost?thank you!
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. Fillers are not recommended for lower eyelid skin due to the thinness of the skin. Fillers in this area can leave lumps. For the lower eyelid area, either eyelid surgery, laser or chemical peel is recommended. Light therapy is also not recommended due to poor results. I am available if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Interesting. I've now talked to two clinics who say that using these fillers under the eye is routine. Just to be clear, I am not talking about the eyelid, but the hollow area under the eye - I think it is called the tear trough or something like that..
The lower eyelid skin extends to the infraorbital bone and again, fillers are not recommended in the lower eyelid area due to the thinness of the skin. If you are talking below this area, this is the cheek area and even in this area, the skin is thin and fillers in this area can leave lumps. I have been in practice over 35 years and do not do fillers in this area because of their poor results.
If you feel confident in the “clinics” you have contacted, then have the “clinics” do your fillers in the areas that you want. I can only say one more thing - “Buyer Beware”
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay, thank you. This is very interesting to hear. I will look into it some more..