How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PlumbDr Your Own Question
PlumbDr, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience:  Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
PlumbDr is online now

Need help. I tried to change the washer on the bathroom tap

This answer was rated:

Need help. I tried to change the washer on the bathroom tap but the stem wouldn't come off, so rather than force it I put the top back on and turned the water on again.

Now the top of the tap is just spinning round. Managed to turn it off but it won't turn on again. The tap is hot even though there's no water coming out of it.


PlumbDr : Hi unfortunately it sounds like the plunge valve has collapsed. If the valve is unable to unscrew, I would recommend a new tap replacement. If like you said "force" it, more damage will be done. The plunge collapse is quite common - so don't worry that you have done anything wrong. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The stem was far too tight to unscrew and right at the base of the tap. My brother said some taps are not meant to be fixed. Is this right?


Have to go out for half an hour, but thanks for the reply.

Hi your brother could be quiet right. Some taps are just as cost effective to replace. Regards Justin
PlumbDr and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you