theplumber717, Plumber
Experience:  Lic plumbing and heating contractor, 28 years exp

How many ways are there to purge a gas pipe when it's not connected

How many ways are there to purge a gas pipe when it's not connected to an appliance and what are they?
1, open valve to line and purge air, until it's only gas. If this is a test question you are working on, they may mention using a vacuum pump, but that's not a real world situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you can you explain 'open valve to line and purge air?' I can't find this anywhere in my books?
If the gas line is not hooked to an appliance, you will have a valve port, or the end of the gas line again with a valve so you can purge the line.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a valve port the same as a gas isolation valve?

yes exactly, you would open that to purge

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for this. I know I probably sound really thick but this is the answer I gave to him and he said "what else?". We haven't covered anything about vacuum pumps yet, is there any other method he could be asking me for?
No the vacuum pump was a stretch, normally you would purge it they way we spoke of, through the valve. Can i ask what is the class this is for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this a multiple choice question? or essay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ha it's my CCN1 course not CCM! ..... Accounts for why I'm struggling!
Could it be that he's looking for me to say, checking the purged amount of gas through the meter once ive done?
Ok that make's more sense, purging a line with an appliance not hooked up, at least here in the Us is to crack the gas valve port, You being in the UK i could not see any difference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
UK makes everything more complicated
Please rate my service as it is the only way i am compensated for my time, Thanks and have a great day Gary