How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plumberpro Your Own Question
Plumberpro, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 634
Experience:  Heating and plumbing answers. 20 years experience
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Plumberpro is online now

Heating - Conservatory Building Regs. My conservatory heaters

This answer was rated:

Heating - Conservatory Building Regs.
My conservatory heaters are plumbed into my house central heating. I know that this contravenes building regulations. I guess I need to either separate the rads and install a boiler just for the conservatory or just cap the pipes off and go fully electric in the Conservatory which I guess would be cheaper outlay than buying a boiler. Is it possible to use the House boiler but install a separate ‘Zone’ for the conservatory? If so would this meet the Building Reg requirements? Why does it have to be a separate boiler?
Hi. I dont know who told you it was against building regs. Thats not true. You can heat your conservatory using an existing boiler that heats the rest of your house
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had my house valued and the surveyor wrote:

The conservatory extension has a polycarbonate roof and as a consequence there will be heat loss form, the main home. This type of structure should be thermally separate from the main home and also provided with independent heating or alternatively should be upgraded to current building regulation for a habitable room.

So I guess I need to put doors on between the house and the conservatory? but what about the independent heating?

I have found this on the gov planning portal?

Building Regulations

Building regulations will generally apply if you want to build an extension to your home.

However, conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:

  • They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
  • The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
  • There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.
  • Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below)
Hi , I didn't know it had a poly carbonate roof . well there are electric wall heaters, infared radiant heaters, which can be operated via on off switches.I don't think you need a separate gas boiler . instead of my internal walls how about a glass roof . as it is I would use electric fanned wall heaters
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I just assumed that a conservatory would normally have a polycarbonate roof. You mention a glass roof is that something that will sort the problem out ie meet building regs?

Anyway question is.... can I add a zone to my existing central heating system so that effectively the rads in the con will be controlled separately is that actually possible?


Its is possible to have a separate zone in the conservatory . it would just need a fused spur , a room thermostat and a pump/plus motorised valve. Glass holds the heat better.
Plumberpro and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you