James I
James I,
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

During a recent kitchen refurb a washing machine was plumbed

During a recent kitchen refurb a washing machine was plumbed into a disused soil pipe through a w/mc trap. The washing machine is the only thing discharging into the soil pipe. The soil pipe served an upstairs ensuite which had been removed previously, the soil pipe had an AAV installed in the loft. The soil pipe drains into a below-ground manhole into which the discharge from other soil pipes meet. To create space the soil pipe was cut and sealed above the point where the washing machine discharge joined it, consequently isolating the AAV from the pipe which is now unvented. Sewage smells are now coming from the back of the washing machine somewhere between the soil pipe and where the washing machine discharge hose leaves the machine. Am I right in believing the lack of an AAV is likely to allow siphoning of the trap downstream of the washing machine allowing foul smells through?

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Yes you are correct a lack of AAV would cause such issues, one option is to T into the soil stack for the washer and then fit the AAV above where the T enters in, this will stop the trap from being drained and prevent sewer gases entering the house.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks James

Please rate the service received by me, and do let me know if you need anything further.