James I
James I,
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

I have an open vented gravity feed hot water system. Cold

I have an open vented gravity feed hot water system. Cold water storage tank in loft with indirect hot water cylinder in downstairs airing cupboard. I have a shower in the on-suite served by gravity hot and cold feeds into a shower pump. My question, could I add a single empeller pump to the main hot water out-flow pipe from cylinder without removing the shower pump? Or is it one or the other?

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

You need to pressure both hot and cold feeds, if you only pumped the hot feed your water mix would be off so hot water would come through and cold water wouldnt flow into the mixer properly as its a lower pressure, potentially you could find the hot water makes its way into the cold header tank.

Secondly by not removing the shower pump when not operational poses a flow restriction so if you were to replace the shower pump (with another pump) you would want to remove the current pump to remove the flow restriction.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all of the cold water is mains fed except the on-suite shower. Ideally I would like to add a pump to the hot water pipe from the hot water cylinder to give me pumped hot water everywhere, and leave the shower pump alone 'as-is' for now. My question is that okay, i.e. to add a single impeller to hot water while there is a shower pump in situ?

If spur off the hot water tank outlet and fit the water pump this shouldnt cause any issue to your shower pump.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.