Waldemar Banasiak
Waldemar Banasiak,
Experience:  Senior Project Engineer at Peritus International Ltd
105762476

Our kitchen sink is backing up, i have checked all the

Customer Question

our kitchen sink is backing up, i have checked all the plumbing from the sink to the ground if that makes sense and dumped some unblocker down it. I have also ran a snake from the downpipe (if thats right??) and no blockage. The water runs for about 15 seconds then backs up. WIth a bit of plunging i can pursued it to go down again.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Waldemar Banasiak replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Waldemar,

You should use the plunger, the best with some manual pump and making sure that you seal well the plunger that no air will come in. You can do that with running water to increase the pressure.

Is it your installation in the house? Is the end of the pipe at the ground opened? How long the snake was in comparison to the pipe? Do you have any idea what would block the pipe?

I suppose you have some partial blockage or some air in the piping.

You are doing good, if nothing will work then it is more complicated process with cutting the pipes and looking for the blockage.

Kind Regards,

Waldemar

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is in yhe kitchen and we have plunged etc. The snake is at least twice as long as all visible pipes. If there is air in the system how donwe get it out?

My question about your installation is because of that I don't know if your are living in the building with different apartments that share the installation or in the house with your own installation, where is the kitchen and where is the ground level? To know where you can have the air pocket I would need to know a little bit more about the piping.

If your pipe from kitchen to the ground level is more or less vertical or with constant slope down and there is no branches it is unlikely to have the air pockets. What you can check is if your siphon under sink is not introducing air to the system. To do that you would need to remove the siphon, connect straight or flexible pipe to the exit in the wall and run the water to see if the pipe is with blockage. Having siphon demounted, check if it is clean enough and if seals are ok.

Let me know if something helps.

Kind Regards,

Waldemar

The request is still open. Do you need any help yet?

If you don't mind, please, rate my answer with 4 of 5 stars.

Thanks,

Waldemar