canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

We have a plastic pipe plumbing system, 3 times now the pipe

We have a plastic pipe plumbing system, 3 times now the pipe has broken at a joint in the last 6 month, never in the previous 9 years, what could the problem be and what should I do
Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 6 months very severe
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is a pressurised system, the boiler is downstairs and feeds bathrooms upstairs
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the broken pipework

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

Do you know what type of piping it is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know, get plastic, looks like polypipe based on internet pictures but was installed before we bought the house so I don't know

The issue is the compression fittings. Are all of the fittings the same?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant to say grey plastic
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all the same

Is this a mobile home? Do you have a water softener?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a normal brick house, there is no water softener, it is a hard water area

Have you ever tested your water?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

Those fittings are quite terrible and quite old. The answer is not a good one. You will have to entertain replacing the water lines in the house with PEX. I would also recommend testing your water to see if anything should be filtered out and also confirm that the water is not soft. Soft water can be acidic and corrode plumbing. I don't think there is any cause for the failing pipes besides being poor quality though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** don't think it could be pressure problems instead of the pipes?

I imagine the piping is 30 years old or so, right? Unless your pressure is above 75 psi then likely not a pressure problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The plumbing is about 15 years old, we bought the house 9 years ago and this plumbing problem is in the extended area which was built about 5 years prior
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure the pressure, but the water does go upstairs 1 floor to the bathrooms, there are 4 bathrooms and if I turn on all the showers and taps the water pressure is low, but good pressure when using 2 showers at a time

That type of piping was discontinued before that so I am not sure how it could have been installed 15 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it's mains pressure

I see. Well the pressure should be checked and the water tested to properly address the issue. If the piping continues to come apart then it would be best to consider replacement. Sorry it has to be that way. That can be a pretty extensive project.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here's a picture of the pipe and the replacement joint.i think it might be PEX which I thought is same as plastic, it is flexible
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll get the water and pressure checked first, do you think it's possible for the pressure to go so high if there is a problem with the boiler or expansion tank or pressure release valve?

That is Polybutylene which was discontinued in 1995 so I am not sure how it ended up in your house 10 years after it was discontinued. I am very sorry to say that there is not an alternative to replacement unless you fix it as it breaks. It is not going to stop breaking periodically. There were all kinds of class action law suits many years ago for that piping. If the pressure is very high then the pressure relief valve will release. It certainly will not hurt to check your pressure though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the help

You are very welcome