James I
James I, Plumber
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

I just bought a flat and when I turn the hot water tap

I just bought a flat and when I turn the hot water tap nothing comes out?
Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Since I bought it. About a week
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If easy then yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don’t think so

Hi, I'm James, a JustAnswer expert, we offer chargeable services; you may see adverts for me to call you, these are optional services you can purchase

IS this issue on all taps in the flat or just in the kitchen \ bathroom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s the only taps I have

Do you have a hot water cylinder or a is it hot water on demand via a combi\instantaneous heater?

Do you have a shower or bath tap and do you get hot water out of that, and do you get running cold water on all taps?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a hot water tank. No hot water out of the shower. Cold water is running on all taps

Right so your not getting any water (even cold) out of the hot water tap?

If the above is true then it suggests the cold water inlet valve to the tank is closed so no water getting into the tank. Some tanks also have a hot water out valve so locate the tank and check the valves for the inlet and outlet pipes are open

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can’t seem to locate the valves at all ?

Can you take a few pictures from say 1-2 m away and attach them here using the attach\paperclip icon?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully you can see it :)

Thats not the hot water cylinder thats a pressure vessel design to maintain you central heating pressure as the water gets hot and cold.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent two pictures. Is it not the water tank in one of them
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thai one

Looks like some old fashioned DIY bodged pipe work, from what I can make out there is a circulation pump for your central heat (red pump at the back), and a hot water pump (white pump on floor).

The valve should be on a 22mm pipe so double the size of the small 15mm pipes, typically the hot water feed comes off the top of the tank, which I think is the pipe at the forefront on the left hand side, which goes to a red valve, check that red valve is open (turn anti clockwise, may be stiff so turn in both directions to free it then fully open and leave half a turn closed once fully open.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That did the trick :-D
Do I need to do anything else ?

Its a bloody mess to be frank, I would look to try and work out what pipes go where for example run the hot tap in one room and feel the pipe get hot so you know what pipes serve where so if you can label them, as imagine you will have plumbing issues in the future and a plumber will spend an hour just getting their head round the logic in that cupboard.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds like a good idea. James you’ve just saved me some cash :-D
Thanks a lot for your help

No problem so I can close the case please rate the response provided using the star rating at the top of this page.